What I Saw - Thursday, December 19, 2013
A clash (or compromise?) of cultures at the Columbia Plaza
Yes, this van was actually being driven like this - two days after the last snowfall.
Pulled over on 462 near Royer's
When I went to pay the water bill this afternoon, this is what I found - an expanse of ice I had to tread across cautiously just to reach the parking meter. If the borough wants us to pay for parking, it could at least afford us a full, clean parking space. Otherwise, what are we paying for?
The other side of the street had the same problem.
Drivers had to park their vehicles on an angle.
Meanwhile . . .
Meanwhile . . .
Ice is forming on the river.
And there's another stash of phone books.








Comments
I'd rather have a few inches of snow on the street than a nice coating of ice. Nor do I need every space cleared of every snowflake. That's why I drive a truck.
Forecast calls for a couple of passing snow storms this week. So why is the borough running around the street sweeper and sucking up all the cinders? So not only did we remove the cinders, we now have to lay more down when it snows. (*We* being borough taxpayers, of course).
Silly me - I know the reason. They were able to give out a ton of tickets today. Have to love the Columbia revenue generat....errr...$treet $weeper.
We have to come to the realization that the local cities/towns are dead and they are not coming back. The rise of suburbia and highways and the loss of industrial jobs (and to some extent, the loss of local banking) have made this so. The sooner we realize this, the better we will be.
As far as advertising - what are we going to advertise? The lucrative drug trade? The awesome slum rental properties? The homeless camps? The failing school district? I hope we aren't placing all bets on the little hobby type "unique" antique stores that every other dying town is also promoting.
--FMB.