Friday, October 20, 2017

Columbia resident runs for school board as write-in candidate


Hello, my name is Rebecca Young and I am running for a seat on the Columbia Borough School District School Board. I have served and volunteer in our community for over 20 years. From coaching our youth in CBAA Cheerleading to being a Youth Pastor that helped impart over 52 teens and I'm still connected with many of them as adults with families of their own.

Why run now for our School Board? I believe that a school board must be responsive and receptive to parents, staff, students and the community at large, encouraging an open dialog. I believe being a part of that board impels us to take input from all groups and weigh all the facts before making a decision.

A Board member is a trustee of the community that elects him or her. We must be an extension from the school to the community and be willing to collaborate with all members of the community. A school board member must build public understanding, support and participation.

What are my commitments? My commitments are to be a board member that will center on serving all of the children in the community, where no one child is more important than another. We are a diverse community and I want to celebrate that diversity. Our schools are here to serve the educational needs of all the children. Our children/teens are too vital in our community to not give them our all to be successful individuals who will be excited to give back to their community.

As a mother of four children, I learned firsthand how powerful good schools are in nurturing and supporting students. Having a child with ADHD and High Functioning Autism has shown having that support is second to none. Good schools are more about students who feel accepted, safe and know they are important to all of us than just numbers.

At the same time I recognize the need to balance the demands of our future generation with the challenges of our elderly generation. Our elderly have worked hard in their lives, given time, money, and wisdom to us all. Their challenges need to be answered as well. I will weigh every decision against this balance. I promise!

No doubt that there are many challenges facing the Columbia Borough School District and our community as a whole. Instead of standing on the sideline and simply critiquing the decisions that are made, I am choosing to be part of the solution. 

I would be honored with the opportunity to serve the taxpayers of this borough by working with the community, business owners, and administration in finding the resources we need to meet our financial and academic challenges. By listening to all of you, I firmly believe that change can happen in Columbia. For this reason, I am asking for your support and votes because IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE! 

Get out and vote for this change by writing in REBECCA YOUNG for BOTH the two-year AND four-year school board seats. 

Thank you for your valuable time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Rebecca would get put on the school board would she be another yes man because right now that is all we have and we don't need another yes person