Haters gonna hate
I'm surprised at all the recent negativity aimed at Columbia's mention in Smithsonian Magazine as one of the "20 best small towns to visit." And by negativity, I'm referring to name-calling, snarky comments, and outright condescension. Some people's eyes must be going funny from all the looks they're giving down their noses.
In this blog, I've sometimes been critical of the town, and with cause, but I've also given credit where it's due. Most of the time, my criticisms are aimed at prodding local officials and pointing out problems.
I was born and raised in Columbia and still live here. I walk and drive its streets. I patronize its businesses almost daily, and I've paid taxes for years. For those reasons, I reserve the right to be critical. Can the naysayers cite similar claims for the right to be derogatory? Is there a valid justification for it?
For current residents who are consistently negative about the town: What have you done to improve the community? For that matter, why are you still here?
For those from outside the community: Jealous much? Because I'm convinced jealousy is what's driving the vehement contempt and grade school level name-calling. Columbia has finally gotten much-deserved recognition, and some people just can't handle it.
Of course, we all have the freedom to express our opinions, even uninformed ones. I've been reading a lot of those lately.
In this blog, I've sometimes been critical of the town, and with cause, but I've also given credit where it's due. Most of the time, my criticisms are aimed at prodding local officials and pointing out problems.
I was born and raised in Columbia and still live here. I walk and drive its streets. I patronize its businesses almost daily, and I've paid taxes for years. For those reasons, I reserve the right to be critical. Can the naysayers cite similar claims for the right to be derogatory? Is there a valid justification for it?
For current residents who are consistently negative about the town: What have you done to improve the community? For that matter, why are you still here?
For those from outside the community: Jealous much? Because I'm convinced jealousy is what's driving the vehement contempt and grade school level name-calling. Columbia has finally gotten much-deserved recognition, and some people just can't handle it.
Of course, we all have the freedom to express our opinions, even uninformed ones. I've been reading a lot of those lately.

Comments
Yes, it really said love, but I'm guessing the person meant live. To this person I say, why are you here? If it is so bad, just leave. People that have not taken the time to educate themselves on the history of Columbia cannot appreciate it. The negative comments stem from ignorance.
oh can't forget-this is where the Boro MUST step up to the plate & work with the local business owners to make this even better!
Columbia has a lot to offer, and I believe it's on its way back.
For such kind words of support and recognition of the Columbia Historic Preservation Society. We look at our mission as not a building made of bricks and mortar, but the history we teach on the land that we bestow as Columbia.
Currently, I have been meeting with other UGGR Historians on the fact that Columbia, PA being the home of the Underground Railroad in the United States. Our UGRR Bus Trips are becoming a popular destination by visitors all over the Northeast and afar. We have trips scheduled from May to November that will show how Columbia's part was vital of freedom of many, many slaves. My current research is on the tunnels that slaves would have hid in until their safe transportation to the North and eventually Canada.
Look for some great things from CHPS this year with events such as the Albatwitch Festival, Ed King Memorial Train Show, History & Haunts Tours, and other events being planned currently.
Our exhibits have changed slightly for 2014, Banner Hall exhibit is "Business & Industry in Columbia", Miller Manse exhibit is "Secrets and Slaves at the Columbia Bank & Bridge Company".
Being 13th on the Smithsonian is a great mention on how we are building our town with foundation that was made at this time in the early to late 1800's. The towns that surround us will be looking on the outside to be critical of Columbia's mention on the list. Let us show them our pride and work closer together to be number one in our book.
Again, thank you so much for your kind words and support of our Board of Directors at the Columbia Historic Preservation Society.
We need your support,
Christopher Vera
Director, Columbia Historic Preservation Society