Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tragedy Averted - Just Barely!

During a midday break from the Cruisin' car show uptown on Saturday, I stopped to take these pics of the Conrail Susquehanna Limited passenger train passing through Columbia on its rail excursion.

 Several photographers snapped pics of the train as 
it approached.  I estimate it was traveling at 40-45 mph.

 Unfortunately, a vehicle with a boat trailer had passed 
under the gate just as it was descending.  Instead of proceeding immediately to safety around the gate on the other side of the tracks, the driver chose to stay on the tracks, despite the alarmed shouts of several people present.
As can be seen from this photograph, there was ample space for the driver to go around the opposite gate. 
What can't be seen from the photograph is that there had been ample time for the vehicle and boat to pass over the tracks.

 The train reached the intersection . . . 

 and sped past without incident . . . 

 as onlookers watched.

 Meanwhile, the vehicle sat on the tracks, dangerously 
close to the passing train cars.




Finally, the train passed, and the vehicle rolled over the 
tracks to the River Park.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

QUOTE 'unfortunately, a vehicle had passed under the gates as they were descending.....'
So what happened with the warning red lights AND the bells that were flashing / sounding BEFORE the barriers descended?? Are we to assume the MPV driver was deaf as well as dumb?? Hope he/she didn't have family in the vehicle as well....suicide is one thing, killing your family is another!!

Dr. Dave said...

That's my family taking pictures you see there (I'm wearing the Guy Harvey shirt). We barely noticed the truck/boat there at the time as we were focused on the train. My 9-year-old took a video where the proximity of the truck to the passing train is apparent. It never ceases to amaze me how people don't take grade crossing safety seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxFQ-1K0mc&list=UUesH-EtruKrthiQVGuZ8I6A&index=1&feature=plcp

The Vollmers said...

I see you got my backside in your pictures, ha ha! I'm the girl with the long hair and green shirt. That's my family watching the E8. It had to be scary...serves him right, huh?

Joe Lintner said...

Thanks for the link to your video. It verifies what I was saying about the close call.

Joe Lintner said...

Thanks for commenting. Glad I could get you in the pic. I don't know what that guy was thinking - or if he was thinking.

Joe Lintner said...

Yes, he really didn't think about what he was doing and the tragedy he almost created.

Joe Lintner said...

Yes, he had plenty of warning as he started crossing the tracks, but he decided to go anyway. I don't know why he decided to stop.