Zoning board renders decision on pole barn
At its December 3 meeting, the Zoning Hearing Board approved a motion to deny the appeal of Vincent Fiorella from the determination of the Zoning Officer to revoke Zoning Permit #14-206 issued July 11, 2014 and adopt the written decision prepared by the board solicitor, Joselle Cleary.
Previously, Zoning Officer Jeffrey Helm had sent a letter dated September 26 revoking the permit that had been issued to Mr. Fiorella to build a large pole barn/garage on his property at 631 South Thirteenth Street.
Mr. Fiorella had then filed an appeal of the zoning officer's decision. An evidentiary hearing was held by the board on October 29, 2014.
Copies of the decision were distributed to sworn parties only.
Comments
New permit with few changes to building and add greenscape to help shield building from view?
Just speculation as to why the full decision not made public.
The purchase of this property was contingent upon receiving preapproval to build a 3000 sq. ft. garage. Why did the purchaser have the local realtor request this preapproval letter instead of requesting it himself? Why would a person who has numerous antique cars and family recreational vehichles and other vehichles to store and work on purchase a brand new home for $332,000 with a 2 car garage in an upscale neighborhood where you are just barely allowed to put a garden shed in the back yard? I guess I would purchase another piece of real estate for $130,000 and spend another $30,000 to put up a pole barn if I could rent the house out and pay for the property with income from the rental, maybe I would convert it to two apartments and make a profit?? Then every time I want to putter around with my cars or whatever I would just get in the car and drive up here to Columbia , not very convenient but hey for $160,000 to store my stuff and spend quality time with my family and friends in my huge new pole barn? Who wouldn't??
Yes I am being somewhat sarcastic here but if you think for one minute that this debacle was not thought out, planned out and carried out in the hopes that no one would challenge it, you are sadly mistaken.
The residents of this neighborhood and every other neighborhood in the borough have every right to expect the borough administrators to uphold the ordinances that they have written and get this issue taken care of and In the meantime a little more oversight in the zoning office might not be a bad idea either